Náměstí Míru was formed along with the whole Vinohrady district, which started growing at the turn of the 19th and 20th century on the site of vineyards and gardens. The square was originally called Purkyňovo. The dominant feature of the square is the Neo-Gothic Church of St. Ludmila, which was completed in 1893. Another significant building is the theater Na Vinohradech, building from 1905 – 1907. The third important building on the perimeter of nám. Míru is the National House from 1894.